How to apply for a D10 Visa?

Chuncheon Immigration Office

Chuncheon Immigration Office

This post is written from a D2 visa holder perspective. There might be differences on the required documents if you have no visa yet or you own a different type of korean visa.

D10 visa is the ‘Seeking for Employment‘ visa that gives you 6 months stay in Korea to find a job. Take note though that you are not allowed to work when you are on D10 visa. Once you get a job, you should report immediately to the local immigration to change your status again.

Backstory. I went to our local immigration office here in Chuncheon yesterday to inquire about the D10 visa.Β However, I brought along the necessary documents as well minus the bank statement, just in case. Fortunately, it seems like the Ministry of Justice have loosened the requirements.

Here are the list of documents I submitted:

  1. 1 passport size photo (3.5*4.5)
  2. 1 copy – Certificate of School Admission
  3. 1 copy – School Transcript
  4. 1 photocopy – passport (front only)
  5. 1 photocopy – ARC (front & back)
  6. Change of Sojourn status form (available at the immigration)
  7. Seeking for Employment form (available at the immigration)
  8. β‚©100,000 in cash – visa application fee
  9. β‚©30,000 in cash – processing fee

Surprisingly, they didn’t ask for any bank statements or anything related to money. There is a portion on the seeking employment form where you have to indicate your finances (cash/deposit/credit card/remittances) but i wasn’t sure if it’s for a guess estimate or what is available at hand. I chose the former.

The Seeking for Employment form simply asks about your plans on how to obtain a job for the next 6 months. There are six rows allotted for this but I think it’s okay to be vague about it. I, for example, wrote “find a job online/ask my network/inquire at local offices, etc.” However, there is this one part where you have to write exactly where you are planning to work for – specific company, job, and salary.

When I first handed out my documents, the very first thing that the immigration officer asked me was my class standing, my grades – I suppose this is one important criteria. From my reading, you need to have a grade of 3.0 and above in order to qualify (the one I submitted was in a 4.5 scale).

If you find this post helpful, please like/share/or post your comments below πŸ™‚

Other helpful information

Chuncheon ImmigrationΒ Address: Saamgil 6 (or hakgongni 29-1), Dongnae-myeon, Chuncheon, Gangwondo. Phone: 033-244-7352 / 7353

Opening Hours:Β Open from Monday to Friday from 09:00 am until 18:00 pm. Closed for 1 hr between 12:00 pm and 13:00 pm for lunch.Β Open on Saturday from 09:00 am – 13:00 pm.
Closed on Sundays and Holidays.

For other Visa inquiries, you may check this website:Β


41 thoughts on “How to apply for a D10 Visa?

  1. Hi! I just want to ask if it’s possible for someone to apply for D10 visa even though I don’t have the ARC anymore. I graduated from a university in Korea last year, but I came back home after, and now I want to look for a job in Korea but I no longer have the student visa. Is it still possible for me to apply for the D10 visa? How? Thanks in advance.

    • Hello Jansen, Sorry for my very late reply. Congratulations if you got the d10 visa already but if not… Yes, you can still apply for this visa even though you’re not a student anymore. It will require you to show academic documents such as diploma/transcript tho πŸ™‚ Good luck!

      • Hi , i have one question. I have graduated from South Korea and after graduation i stayed in korea for 18 months on D 10 visa . I have still 6 months left to complete the 2 years , but i am not in korea currently. Can i apply for D10 visa from any country other than korea.

      • Hello Aamir! I am not so sure about this. Is your D10 still valid? Do you have it with you? If your D10 is still valid and you have not surrendered it to the Korean embassy, then I guess you can still re-apply. However, if it expired already, it may mean that you have lost your chance to complete the 2 years. Please ask the Korean embassy in your country for further clarification πŸ™‚

      • I do not think he can apply once he finished his D2 and chose to go back to his country, that is considered as your final departure, He should have gotten D10 before going to his country. Once you are gone , there is noway he can get d10 and come back to find jobs.

  2. When was your visa expiring and how manu days before you applied for d10. Did they take your old arc and gave a new one?how long does it take for the processing after submission?

    • I actually applied for the D10 visa two-three months before my d2 visa expires. And yes, they will take the old arc card and you will receive a new one. The processing takes 2-3 weeks πŸ™‚ Good luck!

    • Hello, it is sad to hear this from you. The KGSP program is a highly competitive program – which means, many of the people who apply to this program excel in their respective field. If you are confident to get this program, then you should be confident that you will not fail your program… or else… you may have to complete your studies without the scholarship 😦

  3. Can i try to get D10 visa if i haven’t been in Korean schools? If i have graduated from schools in different country?

  4. Just an addition to this information. The D10 visa (I had D2, too) may be extended for 2 years but needs to be renewed every 6 months. ^^

  5. Hi please i’m a recent national Diploma graduate of marine engineering, I want to know if I can apply for a D10 visa without applying for the job down here in my country?i would be grateful if you can explain how I can get a job with the D10 VISA

  6. hi.. i took off one semester because i cant pay my fees for next semester.. and my gpa is below 3.. and i am want to change from integrated doctorate course to master course because i cant finish doctorate course without scholarship now.. so, during this take off semester, is it suitable to apply D10 visa?? How should i answer immigration officer’s question if they ask about my low GPA ??

    Any idea, any one please?? Thank you for your any kind of help.. thank you

  7. Hi!i just want to ask if it is possible for me to apply for G10 E-9 visa will expire on June 16, employer want me to work for him,but he can’t give me more visa because I came from other company before I work to his company..thank you..

  8. How can i apply for d10 visa if im not in korea or im only in my home country… i want to find a job for korea… i want to apply d10

  9. Hello Splurk.
    I’ve been living in Korea for 4 years until now. And I will be graduating soon here. And I’m thinking to apply for this visa. Do you know that if it is possible to do part-time job(coffee shop or etc) while you are on this visa? Because i’m thinking to find a part time job to support myself for that six months.

    And do I need to renew my TOPIK to apply for this visa? Because mine had expired two years ago. Thank you in advance πŸ™‚

    • Hello Jimmy! Thanks for visiting my blog. No, you don’t need to renew yout TOPIK when pplying for this visa. And for the part-time job, I guess this is okay as long as you report yourself to the immigration πŸ™‚ The D10 visa though expects that you’d be able to get a job similar to that of your academic background. Check this official sojourn guide from Korea’s immigration, page 87 file:///C:/Users/elaie/Downloads/150817%20SOJOURN%20GUIDE%20FOR%20FOREIGNERS%20(ENGLISH).pdf Good luck!

      • Hey Splurk!

        Thanks for the reply! I’m so sorry for being late to check out my post again because I think i forgot to check the notify new comments via email.

        Ohh really? I thought that we foreigners need to renew our TOPIK every 2 years haha. I think i give this one a try first.
        Well anyways, thanks again for the reply Splurk πŸ™‚

      • Oh yeah one more thing, do youy know where I can download the PDF?

        The link you had give is unclickable. Sorry about this though.

  10. Thanks for the post. I’m also D2 holder…

    If you already have a job offer is it advisable to still apply for D-10 and immediately change to E_? Do you directly apply for E_? And does the job offer/contract help in the D-10 application process? Thanks.

  11. I graduated from a university in Korea this February 2016, but I came back home country after, and now I want to look for a job in Korea but I no longer have the student visa. Is it still possible for me to apply for the D10 visa? How?

    • Hello bolor,
      ARC means Alien Registration Card.

      D10 is only given to graduating int’l students from Korean universities. The Topik is not required in applying for a D10 visa.

  12. Hello there. I’m actually a student in a Korean university. But I thought that I want to change my school. It seems that my school won’t help me exchange. And the other schools told me that for transfer student, they only except during spring admissions. So I thought maybe I’m gonna go back home first and maybe during spring I’ll come back and apply the school. The problen is my visa is going to end this September. And my teacher told me that I had to apply back D2visa which I had to go through a lot of things to do.

    So I thought maybe I can change my D2 to D10 visa? For that whole 6months I can stay in Korea and find other school to enter? Please help me find the easiest way to settle this. Thank you πŸ™‚

    • Hello, Under the KGSP program, you are not allowed to transfer to another university!

      If you want to transfer school and get a scholarship, maybe you should check the university you want to transfer to.

      D10 visa is provided to graduating students only.

      Good luck to you ^^

  13. Hi
    Now I am a one that studying in Korea for MA and I will finish soon on July 2017 while my ARC expire on September 30. So I want to change my visa from D-2to D-10. How can apply it ?

    On other hand .. After 2 days- 1 week of my graduation day ,my school will purchase ticket for me to leave Korea . but I will just back to my country only 2 weeks , and than I will back to Korea for change my visa . So is it possible ?

    And for D-10 we have to extent on every 6 months for 2 years , right , in case if I can’t find a job with in 2 years. So we can extent 3 times for 2 years ?

    And what kind of work or company that immigration office allow us to change visa ?
    I means I plan to get partime job or full time job with industry .. So can immigration office allows us to do the kind of job or change visa for us?

    When we are on D-10 can we do part time job or full time job in industrial with in 2 years .. If I can’t find work in office or company ? I means that if I can’t find job with in 6 months !

    Thanks yoy

    • Hello Leakhana,

      I hope I can answer all your questions. Let me write it down again and answer one by one.

      1. When should you apply for a D10 visa?
      Apply for the D10 visa 2 months before your D2 visa expires. In your case, you can apply on July. It means that when you go back to your country after your graduation (August), you already have the D10 visa.

      From what I know, you can only apply for the D10 visa only in Korea.

      2. What kind of work is allowed for D10 visa?
      When applying for the D10 visa, you will be asked about your “Finding a Job plan” . The Immigration will expect that you will look for a job related to your major/course. For example, if you are an engineering student, you should look for engineering related jobs.

      3. Will the immigration office change visa for us? No. You will always have to apply for a visa and it needs approval by the immigration office.

      4. Can I do part-time job with D10?
      Yes you can. However, once you get a REAL job, you need to apply for an appropriate working visa.

      I hope this was helpful. Please ask the Korean embassy in your country for further clarification πŸ™‚

      • Thank you so much !

        By the way after graduation I will back to my county for visit for 1-2 weeks … and u told me that I should apply visa D-10 before I back to my country.. but as my experience.. at the airport.. the staff always ask us for ARC.. so I think i have to carry on my ARC during I am back to my country.

        So may I apply D-10 after I back on late July or early August??

        And 1 more question: about part time job while D-10 … u told me that I can do part time job… but I found in Korea immigration office ‘s page .. they said D-10 can’t do part time job.. if do .. it is illegal!

        So how can I do ?


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s